Broken Wheat – 1 cup
Jaggery – 3/4 cup powdered or 6 or 7 pieces
Water - 4 cups
Milk – 4 cups
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashew Nuts – 6 nos
Raisins - few
- Heat Ghee in a frying pan, add Cashew Nuts, Raisins and fry till Cashews turn golden brown and keep it aside.
- Pressure cook the broken wheat with 4 cups of water up to 2 whistles.
- Pour the milk in a heavy bottomed pan and bring it to boil.
- Reduce the flame and add cooked cracked wheat and let this simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. keep stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add jaggery and stir this mixture and cook for about 10 minutes. or until it thickens up a little.
- Finally add fried cashews,raisins and cardamom powder.mix well.
- payasam ready.
I have to say thanks to my friend Suganthi for sharing this recipe.