Rice flour - 4 cups
Urad dal- 1 cup
Pottu kadalai / split chik peas - 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Ajwain seeds - 2 tsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida- a pinch
Oil for deep frying
Salt to taste.
- Dry roast the urad dhal for 2 minutes.grind it into a fine powder.
- Grind the pottu kadalai into a fine powder.
- Mix rice flour, roasted urad dhal powder,chik peas flour,asafoetida, sesame seeds, ajwain seeds, butter and salt. Add enough water and knead into soft dough.
- Put the dough into the murukku press and press it on a plastic sheet.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Now drop the murukku into the oil and deep fry both sides until crisp.
- Drain in a paper towel.Cool and store in air tight container.