3 cups Basmati rice
2 lb chicken with bones
5 tbsp ground ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup yogurt
2 big onion ( sliced thin )
6 green chillies
2 tomatos ( chopped )
1 star anise
2 bay leafs
1″ piece of cinnammon
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
water 5 cups
Salt to taste
cashew nuts for garnish .(optional)
5 tbsp oil
2 tbsp ghee
- Wash and soak the rice in water 15 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into medium sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in the cooker.Add the star anise, cloves, cardamon,cinnammon and bay leafs and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies and fry till they start to brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Now add chicken pieces along with the chopped tomatos and saute till the juice dries up.
- Add chilli powder,curd ,chopped mint leaves ,corriander leaves and salt to the taste.
mix well. now close the lid 7 minutes.
- Now add ghee and soaked rice, mix it very gently, then add 5 cups of water, mix well.(slowly)
- cover and cook with the weight on, until you hear 1 whistle.
- switch off gas flame. Allow the cooker to cool naturally.
- Serve chicken biryani with onion raita.